ROK Blocks Mobile STEM Lab
- Grades: PreK-3
- Number of Students: 4
- Hours of Curriculum: 40+
- Curriculum Phase Overview: Mentored Construction Play
- Curriculum Sample: Introduction to ROK Blocks & Teacher Lesson Plan
- Curriculum Phase Overview: STEM Fundamentals
- Curriculum Sample: Design Perspectives
How many kits does it take to support a child through nine years of applied STEM learning and projects? Answer: zero! Rokenbok has replaced the kit with the Mobile STEM Lab. Easy to manage and fun to use, Mobile STEM Labs cut across grade level and content strand with robust, reusable materials. Just two Rokenbok Mobile STEM Labs support a comprehensive PK-8 curriculum including:
- Basic STEM Fluencies for Young Children
- Applied Mathematics
- Mechanical and Structural Engineering
- Design Thinking and the Design & Engineering Process
- Computer Science and Robotics
- Computer Aided Design and Rapid Prototyping Systems of technology
The ROK Blocks Mobile STEM Lab (the companion to the Engineering Pathways Mobile STEM Lab) supports hands-on engineering for PK-3. ROK Blocks are the gateway to developing a strong STEM identity (Seeing one’s self as being capable in science, technology, engineering & math in the early primary years. The ROK Blocks Lab and curriculum teach skills and fluencies fundamental to STEM learning. These uniquely engineered blocks connect on all sides expanding opportunities for more advanced applications.
Foundational fluencies learned with ROK Blocks include how to follow step-by-step graphical (pictorial) instructions, goal achievement, and persistence. The ROK Blocks Lab also contains more advanced engineering elements to support students as they progress. Students experience lessons that teach: how to make things strong, how to make things move, measurement, organization, the Design & Engineering Cycle, and other fluencies key to progressive STEM learning. Don’t wait to reach students until they are in middle and high school. Begin exposing them to STEM in early childhood and early elementary school settings to make the greatest impact.
This Lab Includes:
- 299+ engineering building components
- 40+ hours of hands-on STEM curriculum
- Curriculum that aligns to NGSS and ITEEA standards
- Project-based, integrated STEM challenges
- Heavy-duty stackable storage case
- Bill of materials PDF
Mentored Block Play
Young students have surprisingly sophisticated ways of seeing the world. This age is the most critical time in any student’s development; it is when they are most able to create lifelong cognitive capacity. Mentored Construction Play develops critical STEM fluencies such as spatial reasoning, problem solving, symbolization and representation, logical reasoning, cooperation and negotiation.
- Foundational STEM fluencies
- Introduction to engineering
- Problem Solving
- Spatial Reasoning
- Logical Reasoning
STEM Fundamentals inspires students to make real world connections while learning to apply design thinking. Students who may be missing critical STEM fluencies have an opportunity to develop these skills while learning concepts of structural and mechanical engineering. Through STEM Fundamentals, students shift their mindset from imagination to application.
- Applied Mathematics
- Design cycles
- Problem solving
- Structural Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Challenging Design Projects
Use with Engineering Pathways Mobile STEM Lab for complete PK-8 curriculum.
Lessons for every ability & grade level are free to download in the Rokenbok digital curriculum library:
- Teacher lesson Plans
- Instructional Videos
- Design Challenges
- Assessment Rubrics
- Student Work Books
- Sample Coding and 3D Print Files
Rokenbok PK-8 STEM Education Program:
In 2008, Rokenbok’s research team of educators and technologists began to explore how to help children (especially girls, children from low-income families, and minorities) with STEM learning. The goal was to discover and innovate to benefit a very large population of children nationally. Here is what the team learned:
- Start Early and Don’t Stop: The best time to help children with STEM is the moment they start school, and then every year in the primary grades.
- Support Teachers: If you want to help a large population of children, you must engage elementary teachers as STEM Mentors.
- Make Project-Based STEM Easy & Affordable: Schools need an easily managed and cost-effective PK-8 STEM pathway to high school programs.
The team went on to create a comprehensive program and in 2015 established a 501(c)(3) nonprofit to pursue its mission, “To help all school-age children prepare for a lifetime of learning about science and technology.” Rokenbok Education is curriculum, professional learning experiences, and carefully organized reusable engineering materials. Together, these three program pillars create a comprehensive and very affordable PK-8 STEM education pathway.
How to order a class set:
Each ROK Blocks Mobile STEM Lab serves 4 students. Stack no more than 4 labs per Rokenbok Rolling Base
**NOTE: A URL link to full curriculum will be provided after purchase. No returns and extra shipping charges may apply on this product - please contact email@example.com for more details