ThinkFun Robot Turtles
- Grades: PreK+
- Game Instructions PDF
How does Robot Turtles Work?
It's really simple. Make a maze on the board with the turtles in the corners and the jewels in the center. The kids play instruction cards-turn right, turn left, move forward. When they get the jewel they win!
In The Box
- Game Board
- 4 Bug Tiles
- 36 Obstacle Tiles
- 4 Jewel Tiles
- 4 Robot Turtle Tiles
- 4 Code Card Decks
Why It Is Fun
- Learning a new skill like programming is empowering. Kids love it because they feel in control and get to show you their stuff. You get to watch and be amazed!
- Through simple commands used to program the Robot Turtle, kids learn what it means to write code, debug and use functions.
- The best part? Kids have all the control acting as programmers to boss around the parent, the computer!
- As they play, kids unlock new challenges like Ice Walls, Lasers, and the Function Frog. Start with your four year old but expect to play for years to come!
- Learn, be silly and just have fun — it’s a coding game that encourages kids and parents to spend meaningful time together away from the screen.
What It Teaches
- Use commands and understand their outcomes.
- Combine commands to form a line of code.
- Read a line of code and execute it.
- Create and use functions to improve efficiency.
- Encounter bugs, then examine code and edit accordingly.
- Break big problems into small steps.