Recommended Ages: 8+
Includes a 40-page science book with materials.
This should be one of your child’s first science kits. The large, color-coded magnets should be played with at an early age. The first 15 activities explore which metals stick to magnets, magnetic poles, attraction and repulsion, magnets through materials, and temporary magnets. The kits includes high quality, color-coded, ceramic magnets.
Activities in the first part of the book
- Draw with iron filings
- Discover what sticks to magnets
- Levitate and bounce rings
- Make a duck swim
- Create a temporary magnet
- Detect iron
- Go fishing
- Play with magnetic poles
Sometime between second and third grade, children should revisit this book, repeat their favorite activities, and do the more advanced projects in the later sections.
- Build an electromagnet – then flip the poles
- Construct a compass
- Visualize the lines of magnetic force
- Explore compass directions
- Discover how motors work
Requires one D cell battery.