Science Action Club - Bird Scouts Kit - Bilingual English/Spanish
Science Action Club kits make it easy and fun to lead hands-on STEM in afterschool and summer programs—no experience necessary. Through games, projects, and exciting investigations, youth explore nature, contribute to authentic science research, and design creative strategies to protect the planet.
With content from a world-class museum and scientific institution, each kit includes easy-to-follow activity plans, a complete set of STEM supplies, and a two-hour online, self-paced, professional development training for staff. The training provides step-by-step guidance for all 12 activities in each unit, as well as important science concepts and helpful strategies for teaching STEM in an informal learning environment.
With Bird Scouts, youth explore feathers, flight, and the features that make birds unique. Using tools and technology, youth identify local species and investigate environmental changes that impact bird behavior. The checklists youth submit to eBird—a citizen science project from the Cornell Lab of Ornithology—help scientists track changes in bird distribution and abundance across the globe.
Note - Materials in the kit are bilingual English and Spanish.
Learn more at www.calacademy.org/sac
- Summer camps
- Afterschool programs
- Homeschool environments
- Build a Bird / Construye un ave
- Birding Tools / Herramientas para la observación de aves
- Identity Birds / Identificación de aves
- Bird Count / Conteo de aves
- Pollution Control / Control de la contaminación
- Eggsperiment / Experihuevo
- Beneficial Beaks / Picos provechosos
- Exploring Flight / Exploración de vuelo
- Owl Pellet Dissection / Disección de egagrópilas de búho
- Healthy Habits / Hábitats saludables
- Be a Bird Hero / Sé un héreo aviar
- Combine Your Counts / Combina tus conteos
Additional bonus activities and recommended resources are included in the online training.
Video - About Science Action Club: