Kano Motion Sensor Kit
- Recommended Grades: 1+
The Motion Sensor Kit is the world’s most affordable creative coding kit. A sensor captures motion in the real world—a hand waving, a leg kicking —and sends this information to the computer. From there, it can be used to make games, music, animations, and art. It works with any Windows, Mac, or Kano Computer Kit, and does not require any previous Kano product in order to function.
The experience begins by assembling the Motion Sensor Kit. An illustrated storybook teaches about motion, sensors, and data along the way. Then, you connect it to any computer and get started coding with step-by-step challenges: Wave a hand and simple code to make a game, a musical instrument, draw with motion. The Motion Sensor Kit comes with over 30 creative projects and challenges suitable for beginners of all ages, with many more available online.
The software experience is driven by the Kano App. This visual coding tool allows control of the Motion Sensor Kit and serves as the learn-to-code platform. It also connects to Kano’s online community, Kano World, where anyone can share and view other creations, see what others are making, and remix creations from the community into new projects.
- Flying bird: Help the bird avoid the pipes. Control its vertical motion with your hand and code how fast it flies, how many pipes it comes across.
- Scratch like a DJ: Control the turntable with your hands, make noise, mix tunes.
- Hand Pong: Like the classic game of Pong? Code your own, control the paddle directly with your hand.
- Yo-yo: Play around with your yoyo, control the motion with your sensor.
- Map Cartographer: Learn code and explore the world with the power of your hands. Rotate the map, zoom in and out, all with simple movements.
- Step-by-step storybook: Assemble your Motion Sensor Kit with easy-to-follow illustrated steps, and learn all about sensors and data.
- USB motion sensor: Detects 3 directions of motion at a time (left-right, forward-backward, up-down) and sends the data to any computer. Use it to make and control games, create art or generate sounds and music. The only limit is your imagination.
- USB cable extender: Lets you move your sensor freely, without the need to have it plugged directly into your computer.
- Suction Pad: Keeps the Motion Sensor Kit flat and steady in any surface, horizontal or vertical
- Stickers: Because everybody loves them. Customize your Motion Sensor Kit to make it truly your own.